About the DRC UC Digital Projects UC Libraries University of Cincinnati Digital Resource Commons University of Cincinnati Digital Resource Commons

Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains (Cincinnati, Ohio)

UC DRC Repository

hi

Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains (Cincinnati, Ohio)

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.other MacKaron, Erissa, Photographer en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2009-01-22T21:27:14Z en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2012-05-16T19:50:13Z
dc.date.available 2009-01-22T21:27:14Z en_US
dc.date.available 2012-05-16T19:50:13Z
dc.date.created 1845 en_US
dc.date.issued 2009-01-22T21:27:14Z en_US
dc.identifier.other SPiC-0235430 en_US
dc.identifier.other SPiC-0735431 en_US
dc.identifier.other SPiC-Backside35432 en_US
dc.identifier.other SPiC-Facade-0335433 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://hdl.handle.net/2374.UC/106 en_US
dc.description St. Peter in Chains Cathedral has served as the seat for the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Cincinnati since its construction in 1841, with the exception of a brief period in the mid-19th century (1938-1957). The design of the building stemmed from the European travels of Archbishop John B. Purcell (1800-1883). Purcell was particularly drawn to Dublin's St. George and London's St. Martin-in-the-Fields. Stylistic elements from these two buildings certainly found their way in the plans of Henry Walter. The cathedral's main walls and columns are of Dayton marble and its foundation of blue sandstone. The original building consisted of a Greek Temple plan slightly smaller in scale than the Parthenon. The Corinthian columns on the hexastyle portico lack bases. Their capitals are comprised of delicate acanthus leaves derived from the capitals on the Tower of the Winds in Athens. The tower was modeled after those of Sir Christopher Wren (1632-1723) and James Gibbs' (1682-1754) tower on St. Martin-in-the-Fields. The tower is an example of a broach spire and soars 221 feet above the ground. The spire's seemingly Gothic verticality is a counter to the horizontal emphasis of the Greek Temple plan. The cathedral underwent a restoration between 1952-1957 supervised by architect Edward J. Schulte. This renovation included the addition of a north and south transept, stone tracery to the nave windows, front granite stairs, an extension to Central Avenue, and a rebuilding of the spire. The interior also received an overhaul with the addition of an altar mosaic by Anton Wendling, a fresco cycle depicting the Stations of the Cross by Carl Zimmerman in a Greek Red and Black figure ware style. Bronze doors issue the visitor in the black marble-faced narthex. en_US
dc.subject Architecture en_US
dc.title Cathedral of St. Peter in Chains (Cincinnati, Ohio) en_US
dc.type Image en_US
dc.rights.holder University of Cincinnati en_US
dc.publisher.OLinstitution University of Cincinnati en_US
dc.rights.permissions World en_US


Files in this item

Files Size Format View
SPiC-0235430.jp2 1.070Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
SPiC-0235430.jpg 319.5Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
SPiC-0235430_1024.jpg 155.8Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
SPiC-0735431.jp2 1.886Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
SPiC-0735431.jpg 310.2Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
SPiC-0735431_1024.jpg 158.0Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
SPiC-Backside35432.jp2 1.848Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
SPiC-Backside35432.jpg 319.9Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
SPiC-Backside35432_1024.jpg 166.0Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
SPiC-Facade-0335433.jp2 1.068Mb JPEG 2000 image Thumbnail
SPiC-Facade-0335433.jpg 340.4Kb JPEG image Thumbnail
SPiC-Facade-0335433_1024.jpg 168.6Kb JPEG image Thumbnail

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

Show simple item record

Search UC DRC

UC DRC:

Advanced Search OhioLINK DRC:

Browse

My Account