MacKaron, Erissa, Photographer
When the original building opened in 1878, it housed the largest department store in the country. George Marshall Martin and George Roth updated the facade of the building in 1938. The Art Deco styling is seen in the horizontal interplay of granite, marble and limestone. The motifs seen on the facade are influenced by Mayan art. In 1982 Shillitos merged to become Shillito Rikes and in 1986 the department store came to be known as Lazarus. The original interior design, created by Cincinnati architect James W. McLaughlin, was modeled after Le Bon Marche in Paris. It consisted of an arcaded atrium, 120 feet high, capped by a glass dome 60 feet across. This feature has been restored with the opening of the residential Lofts at Shillito Place.